Systerkaka or butterkaka
We are trying to get well integrated here in Sweden. Slowly we’re getting to know our ways around the rules, the language, and oh yes the pastry off course. This one is called systerkaka (sistercake) or buttercake, and it is absolutely wonderful, definitely not the last time I’ve made this. Here’s how I did.
250 g fresh whole milk
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
65 g sugar
25 g fresh yeast
425 g wheat flour
80 g butter
- Combine sugar, milk, cardamom and yeast in a pot and slowly bring it to a lukewarm temperature (30-40 degrees celcius).
- Pour the mixture into your kitchen machine and add a bit of the flour. Start kneading.
- While the machine is kneading, you add a bit of flour and a bit of the butter until all of the flour and butter is combined.
- Knead the dough for another 8 to 10 minutes.
- Let the dough rise under a towel for 90 minutes.
50 g fresh almonds
15 g sugar
A dash of water
50 g butter
Seeds from ½ vanilla pod
- Add all of the ingredients to a blender and run it until the consistency is a smooth paste.
- Set aside for later.
130 g cream
30 g fresh whole milk
Seeds from 1 vanilla pod
2 egg yolks
40 g sugar
1 big tablespoon corn-starch
- Combine milk, cream and vanilla into a pot and almost bring to a boil.
- Whisk together egg yolks, corn-starch and sugar.
- When the milk and cream is very hot (without boiling) pour it over the whisked eggs, sugar and starch while whisking.
- Pour the whole thing back into the pot and bring it to a hot temperature (not boiling) while you… yes you guessed it – whisk!
Assembling the cake
- Roll out the dough to a thickness of about ½ cm.
- Coat it with a nice even layer of the almond filling.
- Roll it up, nice and firm, and cut it into slices about 6-8 cm thick. Put it into any kind of round, oven proof mold, tray, pan or what you have laying around.
- Let the cake rise for another 45 minutes.
- Put your custard in a piping bag. Press the piping bag’s tip into the centre of each roll and press out about a tablespoon custard into the centre.
- Brush the whole thing with an egg wash and drizzle with pearl sugar.
- Bake the cake in the oven at 200 degrees celcius for about 30 minutes.